(DAAD) Foreign Language Test
Language tests for study, internship and research purposes for Chinese/Japanese/French/Spanish and Russian
Please contact directly:
(DAAD) English Language Test
The Sprachenzentrum is offering online DAAD tests bi-weekly on Mondays from 9:00am to 11:00pm. If you need a DAAD test, please follow the steps below:
- Be sure that you use the DAAD test for the appropriate purpose (see below).
- Ensure that you have the capability to take the test online.
- You have a stable internet connection and you have either Chrome or Firefox as a browser.
- You have a University of Stuttgart email address.
- You can send and receive images and/or scan documents.
- You have a quiet place to work for at least 75 minutes uninterrupted.
- Since we cannot provide original documents (only copies via pdf), the document will contain contact information in case DAAD wants to verify authenticity. A signed, stamped copy will be available on file in the Sprachenzentrum to be picked up after Corona virus restrictions have ended.
Appointments are exclusively allocated to students and employees of the University of Stuttgart and the Academy of Fine Arts. The DAAD test does not serve as an official proof of language proficiency for admission to studies at the University of Stuttgart.
Students from other universities and colleges should contact their Language Center or International Center. The VHS Stuttgart and the Anglo-German Institute in Stuttgart as well as other language institutes also take this test, but for a small fee.
If you have taken a C1 level English course at the Language Center in the last three semesters, please contact Gretchen Chojnacki-Herbers. Please include the following in the email: name of course, name of instructor and semester.
- A printout of the DAAD questionnaire. See:
https://www.daad.de/medien/ausland/dokumente/daad-sprachnachweis_deutsche.pdf or another appropriate form for your request
The test tests the following four skills:
- listening comprehension
- reading comprehension
- text production/writing
- oral competence
These four skills are individually assigned to one of the competence levels of the European Reference Framework (A1, A2, B1, B2 or C1) and the results are entered in the DAAD Language Certificate Form. It is difficult to learn specifically for the test because your global language competence is tested and no explicit knowledge is required. You can also not fail because the test only determines the current level of English.
About 75 minutes
Request permission to enter the course by Sunday evening by midnight. Tests are availavble every other Monday from 9:00h to 23:00h (1st and 3rd Monday of the month).
You will receive the results and certificate the Friday following the exam by email.
The test can only be repeated after six months.
Tests are availavble every other Monday from 9:00h to 23:00h (1st and 3rd Monday of the month).
Yes - up to 1 day before the test.
Sunday evening by midnight before the respective test date.
With the UNIcert language degree, students have better chances on the national and international job market. This additional qualification is an important advantage for university graduates in job applications and in their further career.
Students and employees of the University of Stuttgart. If places are still available, students of other universities and guest students are able to participate.
|English||III||Science and Technology
*SWS=semester hours per week
UNIcert-Level + Learning Objectives and Content
The learning objectives of this preliminary level are based on level A2.
The aim of this level is to enable students to participate in a simple and direct exchange of information in routine situations. Participants can use simple linguistic means to provide information or information on selected topics of direct relevance (e.g. origin, education, studies, family, immediate environment). They have basic intercultural skills.
The learning objectives of this level are based on level B1.
The aim of this level is to enable students to cope adequately with everyday situations using simple linguistic means. Participants acquire a basic vocabulary as well as a basic competence for the production and understanding of simple linguistic expressions, taking into account interculturally relevant aspects.
The learning objectives of this level are based on level B2.
The aim of this level is to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. The courses lead to adequate communication skills in study-related and job-related situations.
The learning objectives of this level are based on level C1.
The objectives of this level are to understand complex foreign language expressions on topics from the respective subject area as well as the main content of lectures and discussions on the subject area. Graduates of this level have the linguistic and intercultural knowledge that is particularly relevant for a stay abroad and a study visit.
The learning objectives of this level are based on the C2 level, the highest level.
Graduates of this level have a comprehensive communicative foreign language competence in order to be able to react correctly, fluently and adequately in all general, study and job-related situations - almost like an academically educated native speaker.
Please refer to the UNIcert training regulations for a detailed description of each level.
The steps to the certificate in a nutshell:
- The requirements for each UNIcert level are described in detail in the training regulations. Regular participation in the courses, approx. 80%, is mandatory. In each course a service (exam, lecture etc.) is to be furnished.
Detailed information about the requirements of each UNIcert level can be found in the UNIcert training regulations.
- Application forms for UNIcert can be obtained from the secretariat and can be completed and returned there together with the performance certificates. (or download UNIcert registration form here)
- For UNIcert Level III: The registration deadline for the corresponding exam will be announced on a notice board. Please note and register in time!
- For UNIcert levels I and II, pick up the certificate from the Language Center after e-mail notification.
New UNIcert examination dates in summer semester 2020:
Tuesday, 20th October 2020 from 09:00 a.m. to 13:00 p.m.
Thursday, 05th November 2020 from 15:30 p.m. to 17:30 p.m.
by Monday, 09th October 2020 at the latest
The registration form can be obtained online or from the Secretary's Office during the office hours.